A tooth extraction means that your tooth will be completely pulled, all the way down to the root. Extraction is always a last resort treatment because even one missing tooth can cause instability with your healthy teeth. We never take tooth extraction lightly, but sometimes it is necessary to protect your oral health.
Some of the more common reasons for tooth extraction include the following:
- A tooth that is too far gone because it is damaged by decay, and a filling, crown, or other treatment cannot repair it
- A tooth that is broken near the gum line
- A tooth that is very loose because of bone loss, which cannot be fixed with a bone graft
- A baby tooth that never fell out and is potentially blocking the permanent tooth from coming in properly
- A failed root canal
- In preparation for orthodontic treatment
- Wisdom teeth—the third molars in the back of the mouth—that are causing problems
Rest assured that if you do need dental extractions, your Sedalia, MO dentist Dr. Jon Ehlers provides experienced, compassionate care, so your procedure is comfortable. Dr. Jon will also give you instructions for proper aftercare to promote proper healing. Call us today to make an appointment for a consultation.